There are 7.7 billion people in the world. 4.83 million people in Ireland alone. This means a hefty reliance on natural resources that are being eaten away faster than they ever were before. This is why sustainability is so important to help preserve Earth’s natural resources. Every little bit helps and, in this article, we take a look at car park solutions as a means of sustainability.
Before we take a look at car park solutions, we need to go over the environmental challenges facing sustainability. Those two factors are urbanisation and motorisation. What are they?
- Urbanisation is the practice of a large group of people living in small land areas; think of a place like New York City or Dublin – the latter which houses about 1,173,179 people.
- Going almost hand in hand with urbanisation is motorisation. This is the measure of how many cars are in use. The sheer volume of car sales and usage around the world has been changing our climate, our health, and more.
Now, let’s get into the different car park solutions and how they are able to aid in the fight for sustainability!
Automated Parking System (APS)
Making Enough Space for Everyone
When you are talking about a large group of people and the cars that they drive, you need to find a solution for how to make room for everyone in terms of parking. Streets are often flooded with vehicles and the volume is so large that it’s difficult to imagine where everyone can possibly fit into an area. How do we do this? Let’s talk about an automated parking system or otherwise known as an APS.
- The purpose of an APS is to reduce the land area that cars require. With something like an APS, you are doubling the number of parking spaces. By looking into the design flexibility of an APS, you will be able to see why this is a significant car park solution for the sustainability problem.
- How else do we try to weave in car park solutions? The idea is to put parking options in places that are considered unused or unusable areas. Why is this a good idea? It’s because the smaller size, as well as the design flexibility of the APS actually allows for parking spaces to be placed somewhere that is usually deemed too small for other parking facilities.
- You can even think of underground parking when it comes to APS.
Use the Resources we Have Efficiently
Keep in mind that the resources that our planet has are finite. This means, eventually we will run out of things. Human beings have been squeezing out what they can out of the planet, without any thought process of how are we going to replenish it? Better yet, what are we going to do when we run out of what we have? This is why sustainability means so much when thinking of car park solutions. We must use, re-use, and preserve whatever resources we can.
What can we use? Steel, for one; is probably the most widely used recycled material in the world. By using recycled steel, it reduces CO2 emissions. It also reduces energy consumption by 75%. 85% of the materials needed to build an APS can be used out of recycled steel. Not only are you finding better solutions for your car park solutions, but you are also being eco-friendly by incorporating recycling. This ensures that you are not simply taking from the Earth, rather taking and re-purposing. This makes the damage far less.
For another option to consider when thinking of car park solutions, look to car lifts. What is the advantage of a car lift? Think about it, it is a perfect car park solution. The way a car lift works is that it transports a car from one level to another. When you think about solutions for parking, you want to get creative. Because, when you have cars that are side by side with each other, you’re taking up too much space.
Create parking space in a basement of any residential and commercial building. Or, you can transport the car directly on the living floor. You don’t need to think of expensive ramps or ascents; these are too cumbersome when you have the ability to install a car lift.
There are also different options for a car lift so that it can be customised wherever you are. Next time you are planning to build somewhere, don’t waste space with a ramp. You will help your environment by helping to install a sustainable car park solution.
There are many different ways we can help the environment. Most of the solutions come from investing in reusable items. Next time you look to pick up a drink from your favourite coffee shop, either go with a paper straw or even a metal straw before picking up a plastic straw. You have probably seen people make this move in their quest to make the world more eco-friendly. What you probably didn’t know is car park solutions can also help the environment. By taking in a sustainable car park solution into your next build, you could be helping the environment and the neighbourhood around you. We are making a difference and making more space for everyone by looking into things like an APS or a car lift. Hopefully, this article helped give some insight on the importance of car park solutions.